Jul 07, 2022
Major Code: FL02 Bachelor of Arts Summary Degree Requirements
General Education Core 42 Requirements: 39 Hours
- Area 1A 6 hours Social & Behavioral Sciences - see below for options
- Area 1B 3 hours Civic Engagement - see below for options
- Area 2A 6 hours Written Communication - see below for options
- Area 2B 3 hours Oral Communication - see below for options
- Area 3 7 hours Natural Science 1 with and 1 without lab - see below for options
- Area 4 3 hours Mathematics - see below for options
- Area 5A 6 hours Humanites - 3 of 6 hours fulfilled by a modern language course or to area 5C
- Area 5B 3 hours Fine Arts - see below for options
- Area 5C 3 hours Global Competencies - could be fulfilled by 3 hours of a modern language course
- Area 5D 2 hours Health and Wellness - see below for options
Click for all General Education Core 42 Areas and Course Options
Institutional Degree Requirement: 1 Hour
Spanish Requirements: 36 Hours
- Proficiency examinations - Current Senior Proficiency Examinations (5 exams, candidate must pass 3 out of 5)
- Immersion Experience (Internship) - use of language concentration is paramount and the immersion experience must be pre-approved by the department chair. There is a cap of 9 credit hours for internships. Study abroad or an immersion experience (internship) must be completed.
Electives: 44 Hours
As needed to meet 120 total approved credit hours (including 39 upper division 300-400 level).
Consider adding a certificate or a minor. Click on “Return to Academic Programs” at the top or bottom of the page.
Total Hours: 120
SPAN 0102 fulfills 3 of 6 hours of General Education Core 42 Requirement area 5A.
Institutional requirement UE 0100 may also be met by HNRS 0101 (2 credit hours).
SPAN 0300 must be taken at MSSU.
SPAN 102, 203, 204 must be taken OR a candidate must take a placement test and petition for retro-credit for lower division courses that were “skipped”.
A total of 27 credit hours of upper division (300-400 level) language courses of the same language prefix are required to graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in Modern Languages with a concentration in either Spanish or French.